Chatbots are a growing part of the legal tech. There’s a lot of tasks that they can do to help out lawyers. Yet, there are some who are resistant to them. One of the reasons that resistance exists is because there’s a misconception that they will put lawyers out of business. There’s a prevalent idea that all chatbots used in legal tech get smarter as they’re used.
Where Did This Idea Come From?
It makes sense that so many people believe that chatbots have the ability to get smarter through use. ZDNet lists some of what they consider the best movies that feature AI. Some of the movies on the list are:
- Blade Runner 2049
- Bicentennial Man
- Resident Evil
AI that gets smarter is something that’s been part of entertainment for decades. The problem? The portrayal of the AI’s ability to get smarter doesn’t tell the entire story. Hollywood often portrays machine learning capabilities as a standard part of AI. And it’s not.
Not All AI Has Machine Learning Capabilities
Just because technology relies on artificial intelligence doesn’t mean that it has machine learning capabilities. Chatbots, as part of legal tech, are usually designed to do only certain things (such as provide office hours, help with client intake, or answer basic questions). It’s similar to how you may use Word because you know although it can do many things, it is primarily designed as a word processing program. Chatbots are similar in the sense that it’s designed to help you do something. You can use it how it benefits you. Unless you want it to have the ability to learn, it can only do what it was designed to do.
Machine learning is part of AI, but it’s used in every option. For something to have machine learning capabilities, it must be designed to do so. At that point, it would have the capability to learn without more specific programing.
Learn How a Chatbot Can Help You
If you’re curious about how a chatbot could help you as part of your overall legal tech plan, check out LawDroid. You can automate tasks and basic conversations to get more done in your day. Schedule your demo and learn how you can capture more business by using a bot made specifically for lawyers!
- Smart Contract Essentials for Lawyers - June 19, 2019
- Effective Law Firm Management Doesn’t Have to Be Difficult - June 3, 2019
- Legal Document Automation: Is It Really a Form of Artificial Intelligence? - May 16, 2019
- Overwhelmed Attorneys: How Legal Tech Can Help You with Stress Management - April 1, 2019
- How a Law Firm Chatbot Could Mean More Money for Your Law Practice - March 1, 2019
- Voice Assistance for Law Firms Takes Law Firm Automation to the Next Level - February 16, 2019
- Could a Virtual Chatbot Lower Client Acquisition Cost and Improve Law Firm Productivity? - January 15, 2019
- Legal Technology: The Advantages of Artificial Intelligence That May Improve the Attorney-Client Relationship - January 1, 2019
- Could a Voice Assistant Make Law Firm Life Easier? - December 15, 2018
- 3 Simple Tips for Using Law Office Automation to Get Ahead of Your Competition - December 1, 2018